Thursday, April 26, 2012

Nail of the Day!

I was fairly skeptical of the matte finish nail polishes when they first came out, but when I saw some awesomely bright Zoya polishes on clearance at Ulta this winter, I couldn't resist trying them out. They were just perfect for Spring and Summer! Since the warmer seasons are now upon us, I broke out one (the green) for Easter but it wasn't until now that I wanted to try them both. With the multi-colored nail craze being oh-so-popular this Spring, I knew these two colors would look awesome together!

shown with three coats of each polish and one coat of Orly "Wont Chip" 

...and they certainly didn't disappoint! The blue is Phoebe and the lime green is Mitzi. Now, one of the problems I initially had with the matte nail polishes were just their overall finish. Really? Matte? That being said, the colors are gorgeous, and despite being marketed as meant for use without a topcoat, that color REALLY pops under a topcoat. The lime green looks shiny and electric and instead of the blue being dull (and well, matte) the hints of glitter that show under a topcoat make it look lovely. Additionally, the formulation is very forgiving and reminds me of what I was told when learning to paint walls- many, thin coats are better than fewer thick coats. If you do many thin coats, it tries almost immediately and to do three coats on one hand only takes about five minutes, then you are ready for a topcoat...not too shabby.

Overall, I think that the two polishes are great for the neon fads that are coming out along with the warmer weather, but definitely recommend a topcoat to increase the pop of color and wear of these matte polishes!

Have you tried any of the matte nail polishes? What are your favorite warm weather polish colors? Share below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment