Monday, June 25, 2012

Craft Time

So it has been much too long since I posted, but I am back with a crafty project that is super easy and increasing in popularity all over tumblr and pinterest. Its....Glitter jars!

So much glitter!
These are a popular project especially for mothers or those that take care of small children, as they are meant to relax and give children time to think when they may be nervous, anxious, or frustrated. That being said, they work for anyone who enjoys staring at slow moving particles in water-especially sparkly ones (think: snowglobes) :) 

The first place I saw them was on one of Kristina Horner's youtube videos and then followed to get the directions from Chasingthefirefly over on wordpress. Madge, over at Chasingthefirefly calls them "Mind Jars" which I absolutely love.

It's clear that between the simplicity and seemingly effective design, it is something that has been around for a while that can work on almost all age groups. They are so individualized that you could make one out of any colors that you find soothing or just plain fun. 

The project is very, very simple and (take it from me) the materials don't necessarily have to be measured to a T.

Materials
Glass jar (I used 1 pint Ball mason jars)
Glitter (as much as you want, I don't think there could be too much with this)
Glitter glue (about 1 tablespoon to 1 cup)
Hot water (I just turned it as hot as I could from the faucet)

So simple!
I made one purple and one blue since those are my two favorite colors. Now, I don't have any children, and while I will eventually use these with my children, right now I will more than likely use these for times when I feel anxious about work, relationships, or graduate school. Other than that, they are simply very fun to give a good shake and watch the glitter float! The glue gives a little more substance to the glitter so everything floats more smoothly instead of falling quickly to the bottom of the jar.

I have a feeling that these will come in handy when it comes time to defend my Masters thesis ;)

What tips and tricks to you have to calm anxious nerves or frustrated feelings?


3 comments: