Monday, July 16, 2012

Wall Art

So about a month ago I decided to begin painting. It was always something I enjoyed when we had art classes and such, but I really wanted to try to do a good job with this piece. My original plan was to do the same scene in four different seasons, but after realizing that I would have to be really good to get the same looking scene four times.

After about 2 hours in Michaels (I love craft stores and crafty hobbies) I decided that I should splurge the most on the type of paint I bought. I bought a set of 18 different Reeves acrylic paints, a set of brushes from Artist's Loft, and a set of two 8x8 canvases from Artist's Loft. In total it cost about $30, and the paints definitely cost the most but they will last a while and I think that a quality paint is definitely the most important component when trying to paint moderately accurate details ;)

The picture isn't the best quality, but what I ended up doing was a scene of two Eastern Bluebirds (a male and female) on a Red Maple tree in the springtime. I wanted to (try) to accurately depict the plumage and buds of the tree but everything was done freehand while looking at numerous pictures.

What fun hobbies do you tend to return to or discover when you have down time?

2 comments: